National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology (NCHMCT)
In order to harness the resources and also to provide a central thrust to the programme, Ministry of Tourism also established the National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT) in the year 1982. Main objectives for setting up the Council at the apex level were:
- To advise the Government on coordinated development of hotel management and catering education.
- To collect, collate and implement international development in the area of human resource development for the hospitality sector.
- To affiliate institutes and prescribe courses of study and instructions leading to examinations conducted by it.
- To standardize courses and infrastructure requirements for institutes imparting education and training in hospitality management.
- To prescribe educational and other qualifications, experience, etc. for members of staff in the affiliated institutes an organize faculty development programs.
- To award Certificates and Diplomas in Hospitality and Hotel Administration.
As a result of vast expansion and modernization of the country’s hospitality industry, hotel management and catering education programmes gained tremendous popularity and the profile of students seeking admission to these courses also underwent a transformation. As a result, courses offered by the National Council are of international standard which have been recognized by the hospitality industry.